MISSOULA SURF SC expects all players to embrace the values of good sportsmanship, discipline and outstanding character. Further, MISSOULA SURF SC expects all players to represent the club at the highest standard on and off the field.
▪ Accepting and inclusive of all players and cultures
Be a good sport (win or lose), be honest, fair and always show good
sportsmanship to all coaches, players, officials and fans.
▪ Learn the value of commitment to the team.
▪ Put personal goals aside for the betterment of the team.
▪ Show courtesy and respect to all teammates, parents, opponents and coaches.
▪ Realize that athletic contests, including practice sessions are educational
experiences and opportunities.
▪ Players will not engage in unsportsmanlike conduct including fighting, use of
profanity, stealing and damaging properties.
▪ Players will not engage in rude behavior on or off the field, including on social media.
▪ Players will treat everyone, including coaches, parents, players and officials with respect regardless of race, creed, color, nationality or gender.
▪ Players should feel safe to report known violations by contacting staff or coaches without fear of retaliation.
What It Means To Be A Good Teammate
- Good teammates are positive, supportive, respectful and encouraging on AND off the field.
- A good teammate hustles and gives it their all at practices and games. Despite their ability level, place on the team, or the outcome.
- A good teammate shows respect and good sportsmanship.
- A good teammate is generous and shows humility.
- A good teammate helps other teammates in need.
Coaches and Parents Role in Developing Better Teammates
Coaches and parents should be talking to players about what it means to be a good teammate. Once this is established the next step is to follow through on demonstrating, encouraging, practicing, and modeling the characteristics of a good teammate.
- Model appropriate “Good Teammate” characteristics for your players
- Praise your player or child, and encourage them to praise their teammates or friends
- Prioritize the importance of a positive attitude over the outcome of the game
- Families can watch games together and point out when there is a good display of sportsmanship. Coaches can do this with players during their own game, during film study, or when having the team watch another team play.“How can you support your teammates when they are down?”
- “What’s a time today that you really showed you’re a good teammate?”
- “Who is the best teammate on your team and why?”
Failure to uphold the established Surf Values can result in suspension from team activities or removal from the club.